Introduction to Pop up Books
Introduction to Pop up Books
- ONLINE | Pre-recorded videos.
- Kits | add a materials and tool kit to make at home
- Due to Covid 19 and International postal delays, Please allow up to 4 weeks for your kit to arrive if you are outside of the UK.
- Lifetime Access
Pop up Books // Japanese Gardens
Enter the world of Pop up books using paper folding (Origami) and cutting (kirigami) techniques.
As we are using techniques from Japan we thought we would focus on Japanese gardens for our subject matter.
However once you learn the basics you will have the knowledge to make your own books or cards from home using your own drawings or collage.
This course takes you through paper engineering techniques used to make 3Dimensional books or pop up cards.
*Beware, bookmaking is addictive and you might end up a little obsessed by the end.
This 4 week course will include
- A single double page spread each week using a different pop up technique including, pop ups, pull outs, twists and spinning elements.
- Collage tutorials (we will include some templates for our garden designs)
- Video tutorials on each technique. We organise our courses in 15 minute videos so it’s easy to return to and you can pick them up in short bursts if you’re managing a busy schedule at the same time. All videos are subtitled for accessibility.
- PDF resources incorporating some technical calculations and templates. Please note we do not provide instructions via PDF only video. These templates are available to be downloaded and cut out yourself.
- The course aims to create one book using all of these techniques however some weeks we will add some mini book or pop up card challenges to try out at home
- Who is it For?
Our courses are aimed at the absolute beginner. Yvette Ja will take you through the basics and answer questions in our fb group. We think this course might appeal to parents so we encourage anyone who is over 6 and their grown ups to join in.
This course needs adult supervision for children especially around the paper engineering and cutting which needs accuracy ( don’t worry we will have templates to make it super easy)
There is plenty of scope for children to bring their own creativity to the visuals by helping with making patterned papers and collage and coming up with some animal friends to put into our gardens.
An optional kit is available which includes the materials you will need to complete this book. A bonefolder is crucial for this structure, don't worry we've included one in your kit.
Your Kit includes:
- PDF Templates and Information sheets
- A4 Colorplan paper in multiple colours
- A4 Colorplan card
- A4 cartridge paper
- Japanese printed paper ( Designs may vary)
- A4 Book Cloth x 2 sheets (colours may vary)
- A4 Book Board x 2 sheets
- Ribbon or cord
In addition to the materials kit you will need:
- scrap paper
- damp cloth and plastic tub ( we use this to keep our hands glue free)
- Extra coloured pencils, paints etc (for decoration).
Yvette Ja has been running bookbinding, origami and sculpture workshops for 12+ years and brings her Mixed Korean/UK heritage to her work, making it the best of both worlds!
I look forward to welcoming you onto this workshop.
Please note that for all online workshops, tickets are non refundable.